Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Know thyself

First

As I sit at the window looking out at the rain falling on this lovely spring night. I watch a puddle in the middle of the parking lot grow bigger with each rain drop it collects. It reminds me of my life at school. The puddle represents my brain that is growing with each drop of knowledge. My thoughts soon distracted by a ruckus upstairs. I cant believe I have two children that are growing up so fast. I have a wonderful nine year old boy that has the heart of an angel. I see so much of myself in him. He has a huge love for God and practices his faith on a daily basis. He strives for his dreams and has recently expressed an interest in becoming a priest when he grows up. He wants to help people no matter what. I have a wild two year old son that has the opposite personality of his brother. However he still follows his brother around like a lost puppy and wants to do everything his brother does. He is mouthy and rarely listens to me. But he loves his mommy very much and tells me several times a day. My kids make my life worth living. Without my kids I have nothing. I had my oldest son at age nineteen and although I was not ready, I did the best I could. And I think I did a damn good job. I sometimes wish that I had the same exact child when I was done college and had a great career. But that wish leads to the thought, if that had happened would I work so hard to be who I want to be without the push of my kids? I honestly think that without my kids I would not be in school and I would be someone that has minimal goals that never get met.



Second

You are only eighteen years old! What were you thinking having sex with a man that is nine years older than you? And now your pregnant? What did your father and I teach you about protecting yourself. You haven't even graduated from high school yet. OK I am sorry I snapped at you. You are eighteen and you have a big decision ahead of you. You want to keep the baby? Well that is the smartest choice you have made. You will be a great mother. But you will still attend school every day and graduate with grades that will get you into college someday. Your high school transcript will follow you forever.
You have a beautiful little boy! I hope you are able to finish out your last month of school. You have already called all your teachers? Good, and what did they say? They are going to help you schedule a time to come in and finish up your work and take your finals. OK I will watch this cute bundle for you while you attend school and graduate. But at night time he is yours no matter how tired you are.
I cant believe that my baby girl has a wonderful eight year old son. you have done a great job raising him. he is a blessing to so many people and will continue to be a blessing to many people in his future. Whats that? You have applied to college? Oh my goodness, are you sure you are ready for that? You definitely have the support needed for your family. I think it would be great if you go back to school and become someone your son will be proud of.
You have two wonderful sons and I am so proud of you. You will graduate from college and be on your way to bigger things. Never forget that the best things in life are these two gifts from God. You have made me proud to be your mother! I love you sweet pea!


Third

She was a high school junior when she joined the Maine Army National Guard. She was planning to go to basic training the summer before her senior year. The very first day of her very first drill, she met a man that was so sweet and nice to her. He had glowing green eyes and brown hair. He showed her around and introduced her to her fellow soldiers. She was still in her civilian cloths and very nervous. But she noticed that he didn't care how nervous she got, he worked very hard to make her feel welcome. When she left that day, the man asked her if she would like to go for an ice cream and talk about what to expect in basic training.
He stood there in the sunlight as she boarded the plane and left for basic training. He knew that the next three months would be hell for her. He wrote to her every day and sent his love from miles away. He knew that this was the girl he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. He watched her as she waved goodbye. He thought to himself, only three months and she will be back with me. His prayers found there way to her each night as she went through the change drills and abuse from the drill instructors. He kept her picture next to him when he slept. He hoped it would keep her in his dreams.
He drove from Maine to South Carolina to bring her home with him. He endured her entire family, just to be close to her. He had never felt this way about anyone in his twenty-seven years. She had never felt this way in eighteen years. They were a match in all ways. A month after she returned home from basic training the stick showed two lines. the box said that two lines meant positive. She was scared shitless, and did not know what to do. They had only been together once and they used protection. How could this have happened? He told her that everything was going to be OK and that he would stand beside her through everything. The day she gave birth to a beautiful son, he held her hand and wiped her tears off her face. He was definitely a man of his word. How many twenty-seven year old men get an eighteen year old in high school pregnant and actually stick around? She knew that the number was low. She knew it was love and that she had hit the jackpot with him. She would live happily ever after.

2 comments:

johngoldfine said...

Hey Helen, one of these jumps out at me as over and above, really slick writing. Do you see it the same way? Is there one you particularly like, and if so, was it easier to write than the others?

Helen said...

John, I think the second one was the easiest for me to write, but the third one is the one I like better. It really reflects on the events in my life in a nutshell. Plus it explains my military time and I do miss that part of life. The military was a huge savior in my world and Im glad I got the chance to experience it.